New Scout Checklist

Welcome to Troop 28!

Please complete the checklist below to get started with Troop 28!

1. Register Your Scout with BSA

In order to be a member of Troop 28, your scout must be registered with BSA (formerly “Boy Scouts of America”). This registration allows your scout’s advancement to be tracked for any aspiring Eagle scouts, and ensures that your scout is covered by BSA’s liability insurance during any Troop 28 or other authorized scouting activities.

If your child has at any time previously been a member of another pack, troop, or other BSA unit, please follow the following procedure:

  1. Complete a paper Youth Application Make sure to sign and date it. If you know your child’s BSA ID number, please include it.
  2. Sign, scan it and email it to for the Scoutmaster to sign.
  3. The troop will then forward your application to the BSA. This process may take a up to a few weeks due to staff reductions at BSA National due to the pandemic. However, NEIC requests paper applications for any transfers to make sure your scout doesn’t end up with two accounts created in the system.

If your child is new to all BSA programs (never been a Cub Scout or Boy Scout with any other troop:

  1. Create an adult account or sign in with your existing adult account on the BSA site. If you have another child who has been registered in any BSA program, please use your existing adult ID to log in or YOU may end up with multiple accounts int he BSA system.
  2. Choose Troop 28 in Glencoe, Illinois and click the Apply Now button.
  3. Complete the application.  When you get the last screen, you will be prompted to submit payment for dues.  Please go ahead and pay, but keep track of how much you are charged. Unfortunately this number is prorated throughout the year based on the date on which you enrolled so until you actually register, we will not know what you have paid.
  4. When complete, please email and let us know how much you paid online in BSA membership dues so we can credit you for what you have already paid.  Unfortunately, NEIC has stopped accepting paper applications or payment for new scouts, so this is the only way we can get your scout registered and avoid double-charging you for dues.
  5. This registration process takes a few days.
2. Pay Troop Dues

Each year, the troop collects dues to help defray the cost of troop-provided items (Class B T-shirt, troop neckerchief and slide, scout handbook) and to help subsidize troop costs for activities and outings.  A portion of your troop dues are forwarded to the local council (NEIC) to cover the costs of the BSA program.

For returning scouts, the troop collects Troop dues in the fall of each academic year.  For new scouts, things are a little more complicated.  BSA National runs on a calendar year basis, and Troop 28 on an academic year.  BSA has also eliminated payment by check to register new scouts, so all scouts new to BSA must register online and pay the pro-rated fee to register BSA, and these dues will be deducted from your troop dues.

Please click here to pay your troop dues — full year if joining in the fall, or part-year dues if joining in the spring.  While you are paying dues, you may wish to purchase a canvas handbook cover.  We keep a small number of items of the most frequently used stock in troop inventory in Glencoe to save parents from having to order online or visit the Scout Store in Vernon Hills. We charge the same retail price for items, but charge a $2 handling fee per order.

Once dues payments are received, your scout will receive a BSA Scout Handbook and Class B T-shirt.  A troop neckerchief and slide will be presented at the troop’s next quarterly Court of Honor.

Financial assistance is available for scouting related expenses including dues, outing fees, and uniform items via Friends of Glencoe Scouting and through NEIC.

3. Fill Out Your Medical Forms

All scouts attending troop or BSA overnights are required to provide a copy of BSA Medical Forms A and B each year.  Form A includes an activities waiver, and Form B is a self-reported medical statement (no doctor’s signature is required).

In addition, scouts should attach copies of the front and back of their current medical insurance card.

Please send your completed medical forms and direct any medical form questions to the troop Youth Protection Champion at

Tip: Keep a copy of your medical form before submitting.  If there are no changes, minimal changes, you can just amend as needed and attach a new Form A rather than completing from scratch.

Scouts planning to attend week-long summer camp will also need to provide a copy of BSA Medical Form C, which will require a doctor’s signature.

4. Buy a Uniform Shirt

Scouts are expected to wear a Class A (“dress uniform” beige shirt) to all Scout meetings, en route to troop campouts, and to all non-troop Scouting activities (e.g., Council Klondike Derby, First Aid Meet, merit badge days, summer camp).

  • Shirts can be purchased at the NEIC Scout Shop in Vernon Hills.  If you tell any store staff member, they can advise on the required “insignia” (identifying patches) that you will need as a member of Troop 28. If you know what size you want, you can place an order by phone or email and pay by credit card over the phone.  You can then pick up the order curbside, or the order can be picked up by another Troop 28 parent during one of the troop’s occasional Vernon Hills runs.
  • Shirts can also be purchased from the BSA’s online shop.  Pricing at the local Scout Shop generally matches the online pricing.  Some of the insignia may not be available online.

A typical youth shirt will run about $45, with the insignia adding about $5.  Sewing from the patch services is about $5 as well, and local seamstresses may charge as much as $10.  If you require financial assistance in securing a uniform, please contact the troop Treasurer or Financial Assistance Coordinator in confidence to make a request.

Scouts wear their shirts a LOT. Shirt patches survive better if sewn on (rather than affixed with Badge Magic) per BSA guidelines for placement. You can DIY, go to a local seamstress, or use one of two local services who specialize in patch-sewing.  These home-based services specialize in scout uniform patches, and will typically be more cost-effective than a local dry cleaner and will also know more than most parents about appropriate patch placement.  The troop occasionally organizes runs to the patch store with local pick-up and drop-off in Glencoe.

Scouts are always expected to look neat and presentable, with shirts tucked into bottoms. For formal events (e.g., Courts of Honor, Scout Sunday) scouts are asked to wear scout pants, scout shorts, or any color khakis (long or short); NO sports pants, sports shorts, or PJ bottoms.  Scout pants and shorts are available with zip-off legs for convenience and can also be purchased at the local Scout Shop or online.

As your scout participates in the troop, additional patches may be earned (merit badges; rank, position, and patrol patches; various awards). These will be provided by the troop as earned, but it will be the family’s responsibility to get them onto the uniform.

5. Engage as a Parent

New scout parents are not required to submit the following but may wish to do so to participate in troop activities. Specifically, we always need parents to drive and chaperone scouts at campouts and other activities (especially during the current pandemic where social distancing restricts the number of participants in cars and on campsites).

Youth Protection Training

BSA takes youth protection very seriously. Consequently BSA National requires adults who participate in overnight activities to complete Youth Protection Training and to provide medical forms and a health insurance card.  Troop 28 asks all parents to complete online YPT training my.scouting.orgIt consists of about an hour of videos to help you recognize signs of abuse either while acting as a chaperone, or as a parent.  Instructions for completing the training can be found here.  Please send your completion certificate and direct any YPT questions to the troop Youth Protection Champion at

When taking YPT, if you have a Scoutbook account, or you previously have had a BSA registered account, please use the same login email as you used previously.  If you are not sure, please contact the Advancement Chair for more details.

Adult Medical Forms

Adults participating in overnights also need to complete Medical Forms A and B (see above for mode details) and submit the front and back of a current medical insurance card. (Keep a copy for your own reference and to facilitate renewal paperwork). Please send your completed forms and direct any medical form questions to the troop Youth Protection Champion at

Adult Registration

Parents interested in serving as Assistant Scoutmasters or on the Parent Committee are asked to reach out to the troop’s Committee Chair (for Parent Committee) or Scoutmaster (for ASM) for more information and to complete a BSA Adult Application.  The troop covers adult leader registration fees.

Note: Registering as an adult with the BSA requires a background check; if you are not comfortable providing your SSN in writing, you can call the local council, NEIC, for more details on how to securely provide the information by phone.

6. Stay Up to Date

This troop website at is the best place for known information about the troop and is home to the troop’s official calendar.

If you want to subscribe to the troop calendar on a mobile device or in a productivity application like Microsoft Outlook, please scan the QR code below or use the following URL:

7. Consider Optional Gear

As your scout participates in campouts and other activities, you may find there are other items that you may wish to purchase. The single most useful item will be the canvas handbook cover.  Since the scout handbook is used extensively as reference and for tracking advancement requirements, it takes a beating. It is often outdoors at campgrounds in inclement weather.  A cover can be purchased from the Scout Shop in Vernon Hills, from, or from the troop inventory.

When preparing for outings, you can refer to the troop’s camping resources page for general suggestions on what to pack. Trips that have special gear requirements/suggestions (e.g., a cycling helmet or skis) will list those items on the trip information sheet provided at time of sign-up.